Frequently Asked Questions

Plumbing Apprenticeship Openings
What counties are in Area II Plumbers JATC

Area II includes 3 different geographical areas:

1. Benton, Linn, Marion, Polk and South Half of Yamhill Counties

2. Lincoln County

3. Gillian, Hood River, Sherman and Wasco Counties


What are the Minimum Requirements to be eligible for apprenticeship?

Applicants must be at least 18 years of age

Are there any other requirements to be eligible for apprenticeship?
  1. Applicants must provide documentation proving they have graduated high school or that they have been awarded a GED
  2. Applicants must have one year of high school algebra or integrated math 2 with an average yearly grade of “C” or better.  A college algebra course that meets or exceeds high school algebra, with a grade of “C” or better may be substituted for high school algebra.  A college math placement test which indicated placement in class Math 60 or higher may also be substituted for high school algebra.
How often does the apprenticeship open for new apprentices?

Area II will hold Open Enrollment when

1. There are no aprentices on the out of work list


2.The Ranked Pool of Eligibles falls below the number indicated on the Ranked Pool- directed by the color border.

Are we currently accepting applications?

Applications are only provided during openings and must be requested.  If you wish to be notify when we have openings please fill out the Notify Me form.

How can I get onto a waiting list for the next opening?

Fill out our Notify me form.  You will receive a confirmation email for your records.  Enter all available contact information and when we have an opening – we will send you the announcement and instructions via email.  IMPORTANT!  If you move or change your email address, please complete and submit the Change of Address Form witihn 24 hours

I have a copy of my High School Diploma at home, will that work?

Yes however, if your transcripts list your graduation date the diploma is not needed. Transcript is required.

Do high school and college transcripts need to be sealed?


What can I do while I am waiting for an opening?

The higher you rank – the higher you place on the pool-of-eligibles.  The higher you place on the pool-of-eligibles, the sooner you will be register into the apprenticeship.

Therefore, anything you can do to to qualify for additional points, the better.  Consider taking college courses in blue print reading, algebra, geometry, industrial arts, drafting, and/or graphic design/art.  

Other things you can do are – get and renew (as needed) your First Aid Certification; work for a plumber or construction company as a laborer, or any position you legally qualify for, and consider volunteer work in the construction/plumbing industry. 

See Ranking System

What will I need to bring with me when I apply?

Please see Required Documents and RankingSystem .

What happens after my application has been accepted and I have been ranked?

 You are placed on the pool of eligibles   When all current active apprentices are working, applicants on the ranked pool of eligibles list will be register according to our policies and procedures

What is the ranked pool of eligibles?

The ranked pool of eligibles is the list of applicants, in ranked order, waiting to be register into apprenticeship. 

The pool-of-eligibles, per Area II Plumbers JATC Standards, may not be accessed until all active apprentices currently on the out of work list are working.

Can I start my on-the-job training while still on the pool-of-eligibles?


Will you contact me when I am at the top of the pool-of-eligibles list?

The Area II Plumbers JATC administrator will act in accordance with the policies and procedures regarding placement and contact you accordingly.

What is a Training Agent?

Plumbing employers that participate in our program are referred to as Training Agents.

Can I find my own Training Agent while I am on the pool-of-eligibles list?

No you cannot work as an apprentice until you are register however, you can work as a laborer

I want to become an apprentice, but the plumbing business I work for is not a Training Agent with Area II Plumbers JATC.

1. Have your training agent contact Area II Plumbers JATC, if they qualify they can sign up.

2.If you have been employed with this employer for 300 hours they can imideatly take you as a apprentice.

3.If however, they do not qualify you can still join the program notify me form, but you will be dispatched to a registered training agent once you are indentured.


I found a plumber that wants to indenture me, but I have not worked with them in any capacity, can I still become an apprentice?

 Immediatly? (no)  Is your employer currently an Area II Plumbers JATC approved Training Agent (or have they been in the last two years)?  If so, you will need to apply for our apprenticeship program during an opening.  To determine if we are currently having an opening, please check our rolling announcements on the Home page or go directly to our Announcements page.  

If your employer has not been an approved training agent with Area II Plumbers JATC in the last two years AND you have worked for them (in any legal capacity) for a minimum of 300 hours AND you meet our minimum qualifications, then the following Exception clause of our standards would apply: …the employer may select apprentices from those employees who have been on the employer’s payroll for at least three months (300 paid work hours) prior to the employer’s application for an apprentice, provided the employees meet the minimum qualifications.

I am a veteran. What do I need to enter into your program?

We require a form DD-214, that shows your honorable discharge date.

Also fill out the Notify me form.

How do I use my GI Bill toward my apprenticeship?

Visit the GI Bill Website.

I am currenly a plumbing apprentice in another area of Oregon and I am moving to Area II. How do I transfer my apprenticeship?

(1)  Have your current Area Administrator complete a “Letter of Good Standing” – ask for an original copy of it.  

(2)   Complete the notify me form 

(3)  Make a copy of your last MWPR, your ID card or drivers license, and your high school diploma/GED 

(4)  Call or email the Area II Plumbers JATC Administrator to schedule an appointment to hand-deliver the registration, letter of good standing, and copies of your last MWPR, ID/ODL, and diploma/GED.

How long is Area II Plumbers JATC Plumbing Apprenticeship Program?

Typically, from start to finish is the equivalent of four (4) years.

Do I have to pay for school?

Yes.  As an Area II Plumbers JATC Plumbing Apprentice, you are required to pay for your schooling (Related Training).  If you are a veteran, you may qualify for the GI Bill

Out-of-State or Out-of-Area Applicants
With all of my out-of-state experience, will I be able to advance in the program so that I can take the Journeyman Exam as soon as possible?

If, once you have been registered as an apprentice, you meet the qualifications as outlined in the policies and procedures, and provide the required documentation as outlined in the policies and procedures, you may be advanced.  

I am currently a plumbing apprentice in another area of Oregon and I am moving to Area II. How do I transfer my apprenticeship?


  • Complete the Application


  • Have your current Area Administrator complete a “Letter of Good Standing” and email it to us alongside your last MWPR


  • Make a copy of your ID card or driver’s license, and your high school diploma/GED (bring when an appointment is set to sign with Area II Plumbers JATC)


  • Email the Area II Plumbing JATC Administrator to schedule an appointment and allow for approximately a 30 minutes.
I am a master plumber from another state. Do I have to complete the apprenticeship?

If you are not from a state that has a reciprocal agreement with Oregon, then you have no alternative but to wait for an opening and apply for apprenticeship.  You may contact Oregon Building Codes Division or Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries(BOLI) to determine your rights and appeals process.

But, I have been working in the plumbing trade for 20+ years in another state and all state of oregon officials are telling me I have to complete an Oregon Apprenticeship before I can take the exam? Is there anything about this that is in my favor?

Yes.  Due to your extensive experience (if able to provide documentation), you will most likely rank among the highest on the ranked  pool of eligibles list. 

I am a current active apprentice and I have moved – How do I update my contact information?

Any time your contact information changes please notify us with in 24 hours using this form  Contact Information Change Form.

Also remember to change the information on your MWPR.

I am a current active apprentice, how do I apply for phased supervision?

Speak to your training agent, if they feel you are qualified they need to contact the Area II administrator to  get the form.

I am a current active apprentice – Where can I get the class schedule for this term?

Check the Announcements Page, as soon as the Administrator gets the class schedule it will be posted.  You may also keep track on Area II Plumbers JATC facebook page .

Anothe option would be to contact Chemeketa Community College

I am a current active apprentice and I need more MWPRs – How do I get some?
How do I get my rerate – I think I have my hours?

Rerate are done twice a year during the months of Febuary and July. To see requiared hours for each period see current wage scale at home page.

Rerates are strictly governed by the Policies & Procedures for Area II Plumbers JATC.  An apprentice in good standing will receive a rerate when they have achieved 800 hours since their last rerate, their employer recommends the rerate, and the instructor recommends the rerate.  


Referral to Take the Journeyman Exam
I have finished school and I think I have accrued the OJT hours required to be referred to take the exam. Do I contact the Administrator?

It is not necessary to contact the administrator unless you wish to be added to the agenda to show cause why you believe you have met the minimum requirements.  When an apprentices has a very small balance of hours remaining (i.e. 50 hours or less), the Administrator will present the apprentice’s file to the committee for review, and possibly, referral.  If an apprentice is referred to take the exam, the administrator will notify them by mail and/or email.

I have been referred to take the exam, do I have to continue to submit my MWPRs every month?

Yes.  Until you pass the exam, you are still an active apprentice and MUST submit your monthly reports.

I have been referred to take the exam, do I have to continue to go to school?

After being referred for the State Plumber’s License Exam,the apprentice must pass the exam within one year.

However until such time comes and  the exam exam has been passed, the apprentice will be required to complete the spring code review course.

Get Started

call us today!

Visit Us

2475 Lancaster Dr. Bldg. B, Ste. 9
Salem, OR 97305

Online Store

Get Started